8 water damage restoration tips in emergency cases
Water damage restoration in emergency cases is a delicate process. With the whole complexity of the situation, you need to calm down and think clearly about what to do. Here are some tips that will help you decrease the water damage and will make water damage restoration process much easier.
For emergencies call us - Always Preferred Restoration
1. How to deal with electricity:
This includes two points;
- The most important thing to do is to turn the electricity off. You may turn it off in the basement, the kitchen or in the whole house according to the extent of the damage. Water is a good conductor of electricity so the possibility of electrocution is high. Keep the safety of you and your family first and then whatever the damage is, it will be repaired.
- After dealing with water, replace any electrical device that has been wet. Even if the device seems dry, drops of moisture inside the device may cause major electrical problems.
2. Call for professional help:
Call a water damage restoration company with a good reputation for help. You may consider asking friends and neighbors for phone numbers of a trusted carpet cleaner and restoration companies to be ready in cases of emergency.
3. Take pictures of the damages:
You may ask if this is a proper timing for pictures. This way you are documenting the damages for the insurance. Once you start removing damages or making any repairs, the percentage of the insurance coverage decreases.
Call your insurance company immediately; you may save a lot of money.
4. Start removing water:
After turning the electricity off and documenting the damages, it is time to remove the standing water. Estimate the amount of liquid
- If the amount is small, remove it with buckets.
- If the amount is large, rent a pump.
5. Rent a dehumidifier:
After removing the standing water, there are still the dangers of humidified structures. Renting a dehumidifier will allow you to get rid of any excess moisture.
6. Get rid of the damaged belongings:
While removing the standing water, categorize the wet items into the following categories:
- Items that can be dried out and be used again.
- Items that will not be useful again.
Get rid also of any wet organic materials. They will rot.
7. Check the integrity of the house:
After removing damaged items and belongings, you will be able to evaluate the damage more specifically. Again, take pictures of everything for the insurance company. Write notes about the damages to be able to check on everything after replacing or repairing them.
8. The dangers of moldy house:
It may not seem important after removing the moisture and dehumidifying everything but it is. When you estimate the consequences of letting mold invade your home, you will find out that hiring mold prevention experts will be cheaper.
After all these tips, double check on everything and make sure that you will not face the same problem again at least soon. What is worse than dealing with a big problem like that more than one time?
Be prepared for any emergency situation and remember that the top priority is the safety of you, your family and any living creatures.