The following tips are provided by water damage restoration companies to help people deal with emergency cases when they face them. I now that the situation is so complicated but you need to calm down to be able to remember all these tips and apply them perfectly. This will help you to decrease the water damage and have control over the situation until you call for a professional help.
1. How to Deal with Electricity:
You will be able to deal with electricity by several ways.
• You need to turn the electricity off as soon as possible; that is the most important thing to do. It is better to turn it off the whole building not only the affected place as water is a good conductor of electricity. The electrocution possibility is too high so you need to keep your family safe first then the damage will be repaired later.
• Any device that has been wet should be replaced after repairing the damage. The devices at the place of the damage should be replaced even if they look dry because sometimes they may have drops of water inside them.
2. Take Pictures of The Damages:
Yes, it is a proper timing to take some pictures of the damages. These pictures will document the damages for your insurance company. Don’t make any kind of repairs or removing any water until you fully document the incident. The insurance coverage will decrease if you didn’t document the damages properly. Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to save a lot of money.
3. Start Removing Water:
After the two previous steps; turning the electricity off and documentation of everything, start removing the standing water. You need to estimate the amount of water first.
• If the amount is small, use buckets to remove the water.
• If the amount is huge, rent a pump to suck the water out of your place.
4. Get Rid of Your Damaged Belongings:
After removing the standing water, start categorizing the wet things into two categories.
• Items that you can use after drying them out.
• Items that you will not be able to use even if you dried them out. These should be thrown away along with organic materials.
5. Check the Integrity of the House:
Now, evaluate the damages. Write notes and take more pictures. Check on everything after the repairing process and make sure everything is accounted for in your home.
Always Preferred Restoration