Water damage restoration experts say that the best step to start working on water damage at a residence is to make the owners of the place act fast and deal with the damage until water damage restoration agents come and deal with the damages professionally. Water damages can lead to serious complications; that is why water damage restoration experts advise people to follow the following tips.
1. After a Flood:
Follow the following steps after a flood.
• If the cause of the flood is a burst pipe or a failure of water heater, turn off the main water line for your residence. Call water damage restoration services as soon as possible.
• Shut down the power by cutting off the electricity and gas from their main sources. It is essential whether the leak is small or large to do this step as all it takes is one drop to cause a disaster. It is better to have an electrician to handle shutting off in case you have standing water.
• You need to assess the damage in order to know how much money you will pay for the water damage restoration service. Take some pictures for the insurance company.
• Save your most valuable possessions and remove any valuable items. Don’t waste time cleaning anything; just rescue everything first.
2. Get Rid of Standing Water:
When the water sits for a long time, the damages will be disastrous. Here are some tips that you should follow in order to get rid of any standing water.
• When everything is safe, start pumping out any standing water.
• When you deal with a natural flood, wait until the water of the flood have receded below your place.
• You need to wear protective gear while working in your flooded house. Wear rubber boots, gloves, and a mask or respirator.
• You need to keep your kids and pets away from the standing water. Any standing water is contaminated and may be harmful to your kids and pets.
• The place of the pump should be at the lowest spot of the area affected by the flooded water.
• The usage of a wet-dry vacuum is the best solution for small amount of flooding.
3. Mold and Mildew:
Mold need water damage restoration services experts to deal with it. You need to assess mold for your insurance company and to help the water damage restoration agents. Follow the following steps.
• Mold can grow anywhere. It can be visible and it can grow in air ducts, between walls, rafters, and crawl spaces.
• If mold is not visible, find any noticeable must earth smell. If there is any, then there is invisible mold undetected.
• Mildew and mold develop within 48 hours after exposure to moisture.
• Turn off the power as mold will make any wires or cables wet which is extremely dangerous.
• Dry the area out before mold spreads to other areas and becomes hard to remove by water damage restoration agents. When mold stays for long time, it will invade more areas and become uncontrollable.
• Don’t use fans to dry out the place as they may spread the spores of the mold to new places.
This guide is for our community to learn from it that accidents do happen and they are serious.
Water damage accident can be very serious especially if it is combined with contamination which leads to serious health and environmental problems. Water is one of the essential elements for the survival of all creatures on Earth so we need to take water damage accidents especially those related to contamination seriously. Let’s see the most serious water damage accidents through history.
1. U.S. Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune:
We can sum up what happened in the following points.
• The contamination that happened in this camp lasted for about 30 from 1952 to 1987. The number of people that were affected by this accident is estimated by about 500,000.
• The chemicals that were found in the water affected the people with fatal diseases such as cancer (nearly all types of cancer), reproductive disorders, birth defects, and many rare conditions.
• The symptoms appeared after a while. The families and residents of the camp consumed the water as normal; the water that contains chemicals and carcinogens.
• There are some methods to get this water clean like Air Stripping and the evaporation of TCE and Volatile Organic Compounds.
• There are some lawsuits and claims against the camp that should be taken seriously.
2. Woburn Massachusetts Water Contamination:
We can sum up what happened in the following points.
• Adell K. Heneghan at the University of Idaho made a case study that showed that the water of Woburn Massachusetts was contaminated for about 10 years from 1969 to 1979.
• The diseases that affected the people there were fatal. There were 12 cases of children affected by leukaemia. The people of the area at the height of the contamination suffered from liver, kidney, prostate, and urinary cancers. Congenital anomalies and birth defects were common too.
• The chemicals that present in the water are PCE, TCE, Chloroform, 1, 2 Dichloroethene and Arsenic. To get the water clean, the recommended methods are GAC and Air Stripping.
3. Hinckley Water Contamination:
Another example of contamination as a water damage disaster is Hinckley Water Contamination. From 1952 to 1956, many people were reported to fall sick after being exposed to the contaminated water.
The chemicals were very nasty and people complained of nearly all types of cancers and birth problems.
The pollution was made by dropping hexavalent chromium or Chromium-6 in addition to the Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E). After the examination of the water, the PBS found that the best effective way to get this water clean is to us an ion exchange treatment unit especially to get rid of Chromium-6.
Always Preferred, the famous water damage restoration business in Montana, offers its customers and the people of Montana this guide in order to make them understand well the relation between insurance policies and water damage. Insurance is what will guarantee that your properties will be covered in case you suffered from an accident. Water damage insurance policies are not as simple as they may appear; that is why this guide will tell you specific information about water damage insurance policies.
1. Water Damage Policies and Flood Damage Policies are Different:
Not all damages caused by water are the same. Water damages made by floods are different from any other type of water damages.
• Flood damages are not covered by regular insurance policies. They are specific policies tailored for floods. The flood damages insurance policies are called the National Flood Insurance Policy (NFIP) and they are offered to the people who live in areas that may experience the risk of floods.
• The flood damages insurance policies cover the damages completely. It is not like the policies that cover damages like bursting pipes or leaking roof.
2. Some Damages are Not Covered At All:
There are some situations where the insurance policies do not work. If the damage is because you didn’t maintain your property well and the company may use this against you to avoid paying for the damages. If you noticed any kind of damages, just fix it as soon as possible to avoid further damages.
Note that the insurance company sends experts to examine your damages so they will find out any kind of tricks you may play.
3. Water Pollution Levels:
There are 3 levels of water pollution.
• The first level which is the damage because of clean water resources. It is the easiest level to be repaired because the water is not contaminated.
• The second level is when the water is contaminated. Fresh water contaminates after a while and may cause diseases.
• The third level is when the water is highly contaminated. The sources may be already contaminated or when fresh water stays for longer time. This water is considered a bio hazard that needs immediate action.
The levels of water pollution are important because according to them, the time and the price of water damage restoration services will be determined and subsequently the amount of money that the insurance company may pay.
Water damage is serious. It is not only about the fact that it is disastrous and will destroy nearly everything but also that it will take a long time before everything gets back like it was before the damage. There are a lot of myths regarding water damage that may slow the process of getting your properties back as it was. The following myths are so common and you should not believe them.
1. Myths regarding insurance:
There are two myths regarding insurance policies and water damages.
• The first myth is that you must call your insurance company first thing after the disaster and arrange the situation. The first thing that you need to take care of immediately after the disaster is to remove the standing water then call a restoration services agency. This way you will prevent any secondary damages that may occur like mold.
• The second myth is that your insurance company will cover any type of water damages. Your insurance company will only cover damages that happen suddenly not including floods and any damages that are proved to be because you didn’t take care of a long-term problem like leakage problems.
2. You don’t need a professional restoration services agency:
Many people think that they can handle the situation by themselves and eliminate the water from their place completely. This is a myth and will cause terrible secondary damages. The restoration services agents know how to deals with certain problems.
• The water damage restoration services will be able to reach water in cracks and remove it completely. This water will lead to mold production if it is not removed properly.
• If there is any mold, the restoration services will discover and remove it completely.
• The insurance company will need reports from professionals to estimate the amount of money that the company will pay. The restoration services agents work along with the insurance agents.
3. Once the water is removed, the mission is completed:
This is a myth. The water damage may show its complications after several weeks or months. Things like unstable flooring and discoloration of painting don’t appear immediately. They will show bigger problems regarding the structure of your property. Hiring a restoration services agency will help you in assessing the structural situation properly.
4. Renting the equipment that professionals use will solve the problem:
This is a common myth. Renting the equipment will make you clean your place but you still need professional help to reach the places that you will not able to reach, avoid your secondary damages and help you with the insurance policy. In our modern age, we love specialties. We created this restoration services to buy peace of mind that whatever the extent of damages, we have professionals that will handle everything.
The following tips are provided by water damage restoration companies to help people deal with emergency cases when they face them. I now that the situation is so complicated but you need to calm down to be able to remember all these tips and apply them perfectly. This will help you to decrease the water damage and have control over the situation until you call for a professional help.
1. How to Deal with Electricity:
You will be able to deal with electricity by several ways.
• You need to turn the electricity off as soon as possible; that is the most important thing to do. It is better to turn it off the whole building not only the affected place as water is a good conductor of electricity. The electrocution possibility is too high so you need to keep your family safe first then the damage will be repaired later.
• Any device that has been wet should be replaced after repairing the damage. The devices at the place of the damage should be replaced even if they look dry because sometimes they may have drops of water inside them.
2. Take Pictures of The Damages:
Yes, it is a proper timing to take some pictures of the damages. These pictures will document the damages for your insurance company. Don’t make any kind of repairs or removing any water until you fully document the incident. The insurance coverage will decrease if you didn’t document the damages properly. Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to save a lot of money.
3. Start Removing Water:
After the two previous steps; turning the electricity off and documentation of everything, start removing the standing water. You need to estimate the amount of water first.
• If the amount is small, use buckets to remove the water.
• If the amount is huge, rent a pump to suck the water out of your place.
4. Get Rid of Your Damaged Belongings:
After removing the standing water, start categorizing the wet things into two categories.
• Items that you can use after drying them out.
• Items that you will not be able to use even if you dried them out. These should be thrown away along with organic materials.
5. Check the Integrity of the House:
Now, evaluate the damages. Write notes and take more pictures. Check on everything after the repairing process and make sure everything is accounted for in your home.
When you have water damage, it now about finding the best water damage restoration service company as fast as you can. There are many reasons that may result in water damages such as cracks, leaking roofs, plumbing problems or wall moisture. These kinds of problems need immediate professional help; that is why you need to keep the number of the best water damage restoration services near you with you in case you needed it in such emergencies.
Here is how you can find the best and nearest water damage services.
1. Choose a Certified Professional Company:
It is important that the company you will hire is certified. This means it is kind of trusted. Also find the company that has certified workers. There are training courses available in water damage restoration services; make sure you hire workers who have the qualifications to manage your water damage problem professionally.
2. Ask Your Friends and Neighbours about Recommendations:
Everyone suffered from water damage problems so when you ask your friends and neighbours about recommendations; they will certainly have some companies in their recommendation list.
The reputation of the company among the local community should be great. When you work with a reputable company, you will be sure that they will do their best to keep their great reputation.
3. The Prices of the Services:
It is a common mistake to choose the company only because their services are cheaper. Low prices mostly mean low quality of work.
4. The Experience:
The experience of the company can be determined by many ways.
• The good reputation.
• The services the company offers. More services mean that the company has experience in many fields.
• The previous customers reviews which can be checked on the company’s website or social media. Go for the company that had solved problems like yours before.
5. The Availability:
If a water damage restoration services company is not available all the time, which company should be? The following situations will show you how availability is extremely important.
• Imagine that you have a situation at midnight that requires immediate action. Make sure that you will be able to reach a company near you that is available at this time.
• If the problem is huge, you need to make sure that the company will keep working at your place until the whole situation is solved. This means the company should be available all the time to keep you updated.
The proper understanding of water damage comes when we understand the basics like the definition, categories and classes of water damage. Water damage restoration services are one of the essential industries in the disaster management business. Water damage can result in damages that cost millions of dollars so it is important for anyone who is about to start a water damage restoration services business to understand well the following points in order to be able to manage the business well.
• Define water damage:
It is the damages that result from water that may reach millions of dollars. The damages should not necessarily result from water but they may be the results of wood rotting, steel rusting and many other damages forms.
• Categories of water damage:
There are three categories of water damage that need to be differentiated well.
1. Category no.1:
The first category includes the water sources that are not threats to humans which are known as clean water sources. Examples are the broken water supply lines, when a tub or sink overflows, and the appliance malfunctions including the lines of water supply.
2. Category no.2:
The second category includes the water sources that have a degree of chemical, physical or biological contaminants. The water in this category is known as the grey water. When living creatures consume or got exposed to it, it makes them sick as it has harmful organisms that consume the nutrients in this grey water.
3. Category no.3:
The third category includes unsanitary agents such as harmful bacteria and fungi. These harmful agents cause severe discomfort or sickness to the living creatures exposed to them. The water in this category is known as black water.
The evaporation rate determines the water damage class. The evaporation rate is based on the affected materials, wetness and the place of the water damage. Determination of the water class is the first step of the whole restoration process. Here are the water damage classes.
1. Class no. 1:
It has a slow evaporation rate and the water affects only a part of the room. The materials affected have little moisture absorbed.
2. Class no. 2:
It has a fast evaporation rate and the water affects all the room with its carpets and furniture. The water reaches the wall of the room but it does not exceed 24 inches.
3. Class no. 3:
It has a fast evaporation rate and the water affects the whole place.
4. Class no. 4:
This class is made specifically for drying solution as drying requires a low level of humidity to be accomplished.
We define clean; this is the slogan of Always Preferred Restoration. If you are looking for a company to handle your cleaning, you should consider Always Preferred Restoration among the companies you will be inspecting. The company, which was established in 1999, has a lot of customers who trust it with their cleaning and janitorial services.
We all know how challenging it is to maintain a property with all the foot traffic, odors, spills and stains that make the general look of your place degraded. Our job in Always Preferred Restoration is to make sure your place will give the right impression for your guests, employees and business partners.
We know exactly how to maintain your place with our experience, knowledge, skills, resources and equipment. We offer water and fire damage restoration services, carpet cleaning services and janitorial services to Missoula, MT and its surroundings. We work for both residential and commercial properties and we have experience in dealing with both.
So if you need to restore your property after a water or fire damage caused by any kind of incidents, you want to remove stains from your carpet or you need to maintain your office clean, just give us a call and schedule an appointment with us and we will do our best to maintain your place.
Here is the contact information of Always Preferred Restoration.
• Phone: 406-728-7787
2612 Murphy St
Missoula, MT 59808
• Website: https://www.wedefineclean.net.
The business owner of Always Preferred Restoration is Cliff B. Since 1999, Cliff tries his best to serve the area of Missoula and its surroundings. Always Preferred Restoration has customer for over 15 years who trust its services so you now have an idea on how great this business is.
Here are some of the reviews of trusted customers of Always Preferred Restoration.
• Cliff has been cleaning my carpets for at least five years, and I have been thrilled with every job he has done. He comes from Missoula, a 110 mile round trip, and I call him back each year because of the job he does. He is always professional and extremely thorough. I know my carpets will be wonderfully clean when he is done.
• Cliff has now cleaned the carpet in our office and our home. Both times, I’ve been incredibly impressed. He’s honest, professional, and does quality work. I’ve worked with other companies before, and hands down, Always Preferred does a far superior job.
• We had rust stains in our carpet and tried everything to get it out before calling in Cliff. He made it looking like it was a brand new carpet. Thank you so much.
Normally carpets are strong and hardy items. They have to endure being walked on, getting mud and dirt stomped into them, and food or drinks spilled onto them pretty much all the time. This is almost a given for carpets and they require regular cleaning because of it.
That being said, one thing that is most problematic for even the hardiest of flooring is water. We are not talking about those little accidental spills every now and then. They are pretty much irrelevant. What is concerning is when a carpet gets a proper soaking and large parts of it are covered by water. That is when it can become a serious problem and the flooring can suffer great damage.
A wet carpet is no good for two major reasons which are mold and delamination. Let’s talk about both separately.
Mold can be a real problem. It is not something that you would want on your floor or even in your home because not only does it cause foundational damage to your house and flooring but it is also a serious health hazard. It comes with a lot of allergens and bacteria that can cause you breathing problems if you do not deal with it properly. And a wet carpet is where this mold likes to grow. It spreads really quickly too. If a wet carpet is left on the floor unattended even for 24 hours, then there is a real possibility of mold spores developing on it. And once that happens, your flooring is pretty much useless.
Think of your carpet as a very big sandwich comprising of one backing layer, one layer of glue, and then the fiber itself. When this material gets wet, the water reacts with the bonding glue holding together the backing layer and the carpet. When this happens, the fibers starts to slowly detach from the backing layer as the bonding glue turns into thin strings similar to the mozzarella cheese on a pizza. This coming apart of the fiber is known as lamination. When this delamination occurs, bits of carpet begin to wrinkle and bubble up. Once this happens then there is nothing much that can be done to fix the damage and the material becomes useless.
Of course, carpets need to be cleaned properly and it should be done by people who are skilled at it. Use too much water and you can say goodbye to your expensive and valuable flooring. Always Preferred Restoration is here for precisely this reason. We are seasoned industry players and we make use of an innovative hot water extraction technique to ensure that your carpet is fully dried out and spotlessly clean.
Restoring a Carpet Damaged by Water in Nine Easy Steps:
If you have ever had to endure a water-damaged carpet, you will know that its smell is incredibly foul and nauseous. It feels like an unwanted amalgamation of dank mildew and a wet dog which spreads to every part of the house. The problem is that by the time your flooring gets into this condition, it has already been damaged beyond repair.
So, does this mean that a floor that has suffered water damage is completely ruined? Well, not exactly.
Actually, you can save most carpets. It all depends on the amount and type of water that the material has dealt with and the time it has remained exposed to it. As long as you take timely action, there is always the possibility that you can prevent permanent damage to your flooring and prolong its life. Take a look at the steps mentioned below and follow them the next time your carpet has a wet encounter.
Pinpoint the source of excess water as this will help you determine if your carpet has a chance of survival. Is the water clean and coming from a leaky faucet or is it dirty coming from a sewerage backup or overflowing drain? If the flooring makes direct contact with this type of dirty water, then the better option is to get rid of it straight away. If, however, the water is clean then follow the next steps.
Fix the leakage. This can be something as simple as turning off a stop valve. Or, alternatively, you might need to bring in a plumber if the leakage is a bigger one and needs a professional to deal with it.
If needed, take out all extra furniture from that particular room or area of the house. After that, if it is safe (in case of clean water leakage), clear away all extra water from your damaged carpet using a dry towel(s).
Use a box cutter to take out any part of the carpet that has wet spots. This might seem a naive thing to do, but fibers can actually be stitched back together quite easily. More importantly, this action prevents the spreading of mildew. Take out the base padding from the cut out parts and get rid of it because it is likely to have been completely ruined. Next, remove the material from the floor and open all doors and windows to allow air to circulate the room.
For this step, you will need a few industrial size fans. These are actually easily available to rent (as well as purchase) from any good DIY store. Turn them on facing the affected part of the house. Set them on high speed for at least 24 hours and ideally for 36 hours. For larger sizes, the time it will take to dry out will be longer. Also, make sure that foot traffic in the area is at a minimum until the carpet is fully dry.
Thoroughly examine the carpet after 12 hours of drying. These initial 12 hours are critical because mold spores normally take hold in this period and it is important to make sure that the floors are completely dry. If it seems sufficiently dry, the fans should still be kept running to make sure of complete and permanent drying.
Get your insurance agent on the line. On grounds that you did not do this on purpose, get all the necessary paperwork ready and provide them all relevant details about your carpet damaged by water so they can initiate the process on their end.
When the carpet and nearby area are fully dry, get a portable dehumidifier to eliminate any underlying dampness in the room. It might be a good idea to keep this thing running for a few days.
When your carpet and the room are completely free of all dampness and moisture, get your floors stitched back together and bring back the furniture to where it was.
If all this seems a daunting task, then you can always call in the professionals. Over here at Always Preferred Restoration, we have taken care of water-damaged stuff quite a bit in the past and we know what it takes to fix your carpet. For more information, contact us here or give us a call.
A water damaged carpet is one of the most pathetic things that one might need to deal with in their life. Spilled wine or juice and a flooded carpet are two entirely different things to manage. Thou if you are having some water damage in your Missoula home, we would recommend you to hire professional water damage restoration services to treat your product and property with safety and ensuring minimum damage to them.
Here we have come to discuss and clarify some difference related to water damage carpet and rug cleaning and maintenance services in your home. These chunks of information along with the tips will help you deal with the problem in an effective way.
Steam or Dry Cleaning:
Winters are always the season of leaking roofs and muddy foot that are sure to leave dirt and stains everywhere, on the floor and carpets. According to the experts, if you are properly maintaining your carpets, it will you retain their original condition and stay with you for a really long time. Apart from the long life of the carpet, it will also help you manage the quality of atmosphere at your home.
Keeping this importance in mind, the expert suggests professional cleaning services once a year, apart from weekly spot cleaning and vacuuming. The professional carpet cleaning industry carries two main procedures to deal with the carpet cleaning, rug cleaning and water restoration related services, hereby named as; dry cleaning and steam cleaning.
What is Steam Cleaning?
The steam cleaning process is also named as hot water extraction process. This method is executed by forcing hot water in your carpet with the help of high-pressure jet spray. the spray is then followed by the vacuuming that takes the water out of the carpet. Typically, this activity is performed by using the portable machine.
The steam cleaning process starts by vacuuming out all the dirt and dust from the depth of carpet. The steam cleaning experts will also remove the spots or stains on your carpet or rug and then use a pre-spray chemical that helps to soften the surface of the carpet. The soften surface is then treated with the hot water spray that goes deep into the carpet fibres and helps to have a deep cleaning of the carpet.
The drying time for the carpet varies from 6 to 8 hours, depending on the type of carpet. If your carpet has not dried in 24 hours, you cleaning expert has not extracted enough water from the carpet, during the cleaning process.
What is Dry Cleaning?
Do not go for the name, this kind of carpet cleaning is also processed with some amount of water but this amount of water is less than what is used in steam cleaning.
In this process, the technical will vacuum your carpet and remove all the dirt or dust from it. A chemical mixture for dry cleaning is then applied to the carpet. This mixture is made to break the carpet fibres and release the residues built into the carpet. This breakdown helps to extract the dirt and soil that lay deep into the carpet.
This process is implemented by using machines fixed with the rotating pad. This pad spin fasts on the carpet and absorbs all the dirt in it. These pads are constructed with highly absorbent cotton that is soaked in the conditioning solution in hot water mixture. This mixture dip pads are changed throughout the process and they get soiled with the dirt particles extracted.
Benefits of Steam and Dry Cleaning:
Both steam and dry cleaning comes with different benefits. However, they both are significant means of carpet cleaning but are preferred based on different elements and circumstances.
The dry cleaning system leaves the carpet clean immediately and you can start using it soon after cleaning. The carpet cleaned in this way becomes completely dry without 2 hours of cleaning. Such type of cleaning is thus appreciable for high traffic area.
Most of the carpet manufacturers recommend to you steam cleaning for maintaining a really long and healthy life of the carpet.
Thus we can say that dry cleaning is a good option for general cleaning of the carpet as it is effective and quick. However, dry cleaning is superficial cleaning of the carpet. But if you are really willing for a longer life of your carpet you need to consider the deep cleaning of the carpet and you must go for a steam cleaning.
Spills on the Carpets
There are possibilities that you will see some hidden and long forgotten stains on the carpet, after cleaning. These stains are normally caused by the liquid that contains colourless sugar. Due to long exposure to the air, the insoluble brown stain goes strictly on the carpet fibre. Sometimes these stains may appear in brown shades but most of the time they remain unnoticed as they get covered with the soil on them.
As the fibres have the characteristic that causes the water to evaporate but the colour remains there. If you are trying to remove the colour stain by using wrong mixtures and chemicals, you may end up making the stain even more noticeable.
So if you are willing to decrease the possibilities of damage to the carpet or stains, you must take an immediate actions including; absorbing all the moisture, and putting some thick layer of absorbent material over the spill area and pressing it down. When you are done with these initials you must call a profession cleaner to remove the spots safely and keep your carpet safe before the stain gets permanent and leave a mark on you.
Water Stains on Carpet:
Water or snow tracked in, spills, rain through open doors or windows, leakage of radiators, bursting of pipes and in the worse scenario, the flood, the base yarns of the carpet get serious damage.
The situations get critical when you give too much time to their carpets to get dry and it leads to the weakening the fibres of the carpet, losing its colour and life. This entire situation will lead to water stains that are mostly brown in colour.
Once these stains are developed and the brown colour is formed on the carpet, it becomes impossible, even for the expert professionals, to deal with it and restore the actual state of your carpet. For this reason, if your carpet ever encounters any such incident, consult a water damage restoration expert in Missoula, immediately.
These experts will not only remove the dirt and dust lying deep into the carpet but will also have the water extracted out from the carpet, completely. The professional carpet cleaning comes with the authentic and tested chemical mixtures based on the type of carpet you are using and what kind and frequency of damage have occurred to it.
These professionals will assess the quality and type of carpet and will then decide the type and amount of cleaning material to deal with your water stain issues.
In a nutshell, thou, you need to be concerned about the scheduled and periodic cleaning of your carpet on your own you must consider the professional carpet cleaning services once in a year. These professional tips and services are a must and play a vital role in cleaning your carpet, helping it live long with maintained colours, and keeping your surrounding healthier for you and your loved one.
Always Preferred Restoration