This guide is for people who suffer to get gum out of carpets especially if they have kids. We will discuss here how to get gum out using ice and how to get it out using heat. Feel free to call Always Preferred Restoration for any other specific questions about gum.
Get Gum Out With Ice:
One of the easiest ways to get gum out is to first freeze the gum. Grab a bag and fill it with ice. Then place the ice on the gum and leave it for about 30 minutes. Once the gum is frozen and hard, pry the gum up with your fingertips or a dull knife.
Cold gum becomes less sticky and brittle and will allow you to break it up from the carpet more easily. Do this very carefully. You don’t want to begin lifting fibers out of the carpet. If fibers begin to come up with the gum, hold the fibers with your fingers below the gum while pulling at the gum to avoid pulling the fibers up from the backing of the carpet.
It works best to break the brittle gum into chunks and work with a piece at a time. Once you get the majority of the gum up this way, there will likely be some sticky gum residue left behind.
A small amount of liquid soap can be gently blotted into the carpet to break down and remove this residue. However, be careful not to scrub the carpet to avoid fraying carpet fibers. Also avoid using too much soap. Just use a small amount and then flush the area with water when you are finished and blot with clean, white towels. This will prevent leaving a soapy residue that can later attract dirt to the area.
Get Gum Out With Heat:
First put a paper sack or a clean cloth over the gum. Next, use a hair dryer to heat the area and soften the gum. As the gum loosens up, it will begin to stick to the bag or cloth that you placed over it. Be very careful not to overheat and melt carpet fibers.
With extreme heat, you can actually cause burn/melt marks in your carpet and look like a permanent stain. If you watch closely as you work, it shouldn’t be a problem. This is more likely to be an issue if you use an iron instead of a hair dryer to heat the gum.
When the gum is soft, lift the cloth or sack, which should lift some of the gum. Continue to blot the warm gum with the sack, letting it attach and lift more and more of the gum out. Gently pick at the rest of the gum, removing as much as possible from the carpet without pulling too hard on the carpet fibers.
Again, once you have removed as much as possible, rinse with a small amount of soap to get rid of the remaining residue.
We here in Always Preferred know how hard it is to get rid of water stains. That is why we are providing our customers with this guide about the best carpet cleaners we use in case they have water stains.
1. The Usage of Soap and Water as a Carpet Cleaner:
Here is how to use soap and water to clean water stains.
• Blot up as much moisture as you can by using a clean white cloth and pressing it against the water stain; this will work only when the spill is fresh.
• Walk over the cloth to make it absorb more water.
• Paper towels are great too. Place some of them over the stain then put a heavy object over the towels and leave everything for a while.
• The first step that you should do is to remove any sediment or dirt that has embedded into the carpet in the water stain area by creating a mixture of soap and water.
• Take a cloth, cover it with soap and water, rub it on the stain gently; that is how you dab the area with the stain.
2. The Usage of Vinegar and Water as a Carpet Cleaner:
Here is how to use vinegar and water to clean water stains.
• After the usage of your dish soap and water to remove any dirt or sediment, if the water stain is still there, you can try the mixture of vinegar and water.
• Use white vinegar. Add ¼ teaspoon of white vinegar for every 32 ounces of water as you don’t need much vinegar.
• You can use a clean cloth or a hand-held sprayer to apply the mixture of vinegar and water into the carpet.
• Press lightly on the stain to let the PH of the vinegar remove the water stain properly.
• Leave the carpet to dry out as you will see the effects only when the carpet is fully dry.
• While the carpet is drying out, you will see the stain gradually disappear.
• Repeat if needed.
3. The Usage of Chemicals as Carpet Cleaners:
Here is how you can use chemicals as carpet cleaners.
• At this point, you may need to call professional help. They will deal with everything professionally and getting your carpet clean again especially if the damage is severe.
• If the carpet cleaning agents said that the carpet needs to be replaced, make sure that nothing will help.
• Rent a steam cleaner and use it. Steam cleaners are effective against water stains.
Choosing the best upholstery cleaner is always an issue especially when it comes to leather upholstery. Leather upholstery cleaners say that leather cleaning is not the same as any kind of material. There are a lot of ways to clean leather but the best way is to hire a professional leather upholstery cleaner that know what to do with different stains.
The possibility that you may damage the leather upholstery is high while the possibility of the professional leather upholstery cleaner to damage the leather upholstery is low unless unexpected accident happened.
Discoloration of the leather upholstery, sustaining scratches or scars, loss its supple texture, soaking up body oils, and sustaining punctures are all permanent damages that may happen to the leather upholstery if you are not professional enough to handle it.
These tips will show you how professional leather upholstery cleaners are the best to deal with your problem.
1. The Material:
The following points will tell you what you need to know about the material.
• Leather is unique even when it is stained. Certain kinds of stains and wear affect it in addition to that it is a naturally absorbent; it soaks up the oils of the body.
• Any small damage like a slight scratch can be noticeable.
• The first step to prevent any damage from happening to your leather upholstery is to be careful around it.
• Any severe damage can be removed by professional upholstery cleaners.
• The leather needs to be cleaned and vacuumed well before starting cleaning it.
• Cleaning leather is essential because you will be able to get rid of any dirt that may interfere with cleaning the upholstery.
• Professional leather upholstery cleaners will use water and a small amount of detergent manually to clean up afterwards to keep the leather integrity.
2. The Guarantees:
Professional cleaners have a certain way to deal with any kind of damages regarding leather. Whether it is a stain, a scratch, a discoloration or a puncture, they will repair the damage. The next point will tell you how the process will work.
3. How does the cleaning process go?
The first thing that will be done is the abrasion with a special abrasion surface; this is done gently. The first step is essential to remove any discoloration and prepare the leather to be restored.
The heavy body oils are removed by a special way. Professional cleaners use special absorbent chemicals which penetrate into the leather and remove the oil by soaking it up. The oil and the detergent make special thickening layer that can be removed gently.
If the oil is not repeated by the first attempt, they repeat until the oil is completely removed.
The drying process may take few hours but it is the most effective way.
After the treatment of the area, some special chemicals are applied to the damaged area. If the damage is discoloration, a dye matches the color of the leather is applied.
Professional cleaning agents are the best to restore your leather upholstery.
Sometimes people wonder if hiring professional upholstery cleaner worth it or they can handle the damages that happen to their upholstery by themselves. After reading this guide, you will be able to decide whether to hire professional upholstery cleaner or you should try to clean your upholstery by yourself.
People who have kids or pets or both will definitely need to hire professional upholstery cleaners to maintain the integrity of their furniture. People who don’t have kids or pet may damage their upholstery by spilling drinks over it. There are many guides that tell people how to clean every kind of stain but it is exhausting to search and apply the steps so why would you bother yourself with cleaning guides while you can hire professional certified upholstery cleaner to restore your upholstery?
Let’s see some specific points regarding hiring professional upholstery cleaners to help you decide.
1. Why should hire certified upholstery cleaners?
The following points will tell why you should hire upholstery cleaners that are certified.
• If you want your upholstery to last for a long time, then you should hire experts who know how to deal with different kinds of damages properly.
• The usage of homemade chemicals and commercial products without the proper knowledge is not enough.
• Sometimes when you try to handle the damage by yourself, you will treat the problem for a short term period then it will appear again.
• The previous points show you why you should hire professional certified upholstery cleaner if you really want to clean your upholstery well.
2. The benefits of hiring certified professional upholstery cleaners:
There are many benefits of hiring certified upholstery cleaners.
• Training and education. Certified cleaners have many certifications that say that they can identify any type of stains easily.
• They know the proper ways to deal with different kinds of upholstery.
• They know the best upholstery cleaner product to use with each stain.
• They know the proper tools and equipment to use.
• They will tell you all the information about the integrity, the durability and maintenance of the upholstery.
• They will give you valuable information about how to keep your upholstery clean and how to avoid stains and damages.
3. Tips for the maintenance of your upholstery:
You should follow these tips to keep your upholstery clean.
• According to the type of the material, vacuuming or cleaning your upholstery frequently is needed in order to keep the integrity of your upholstery.
• Use arm caps on your upholstery. This way you will prolong the life span of the fabric.
• The wear and tear process happens faster when you rotate the seat and the back cushions more often.
• When you add a new piece of furniture, this means that your furniture will need to be cleaned especially vacuumed more often.
• The manufacturing companies’ guides say that people should care for their upholstery once every two years in case there is not any kind of accidents happen in these two years.
• If you have any kids or pets, the cleaning process should be more often.
Regular professional carpet cleaning is not preferable especially if you have a very valuable carpet that you want to keep its value so you need to know how to keep your carpet clean for a very long time. Professional carpet cleaning is kind of expensive especially if they are so valuable.
If you followed this guide, you will be able to keep your carpet clean may be for years. This guide will tell you how to prevent stains and how to prevent damages for a long time.
1. Regular carpet cleaning:
Follow the following steps to keep your carpet clean regularly.
• Vacuuming your carpet regularly is the first step to get the dirt and debris out of it as the accumulation of dirt and debris causes long term problems.
It is recommended to vacuum your carpet once a week covering all the areas of it.
• Cover your carpet with baking soda before vacuuming as it absorbs bad odors, keeps the smell of the carpet fresh and makes your carpet look great. Don’t put too much baking soda on a certain area.
• If you got a stain, deal with it as soon as possible. Apply your best carpet cleaning using the best method to get rid of it.
• Professional carpet cleaning occasionally is necessary. It is kind of expensive but it will keep the integrity of the carpet.
• Find the best professional carpet cleaning agency.
2. Prevention of Stains and Spills:
The following tips will help you to prevent stains.
• The usage of rugs and runners is great especially the areas that are exposed to a lot of dirt and other contaminants. You can use it at certain areas like under a dining room table and the area where your kids usually play.
• You have to train your pet to urinate outdoors or at a certain place. If your pet is not trained, use repellents. There are some commercial repellents but you can use white vinegar, lemon juice, rubbing alcohol as repellent agents.
• Don’t walk over your carpet wearing your shoes. Remove your shoes when you enter your home and encourage your visitors and your family to do the same.
• Any common source of stain should be kept away from the carpet; Wine, beverages, foods and juices are very common sources of stains.
3. Avoid Common Mistakes:
The following mistakes are so common and lead to a lot of stains.
• Commercial carpet powders are used to eliminate the unpleasant odors but they leave residue in the carpet that damage the carpet over time.
• Rubbing stains will spread it. It is better to blot the stains to remove them without spreading them. Sometimes you think that you are removing the stain while rubbing but you actually making it worse.
• When you need to buy a carpet cleaner, don’t buy a cheap one as you will get what you pay for. Cheap carpet cleaners will leave dirt and debris within the carpet and even may cause a lot of damages.
Choosing the best upholstery cleaner is always a problem that needs to be solved through a clear guide. Steam is one of the common methods used as an upholstery cleaner, yet it is not that easy to use it. Steam is used for many cleaning applications and it has the ability to clean delicate upholstery and fabric furniture.
Steam as an upholstery cleaner may be the most effective tool you will ever use. In fact, it removes stains and spots, sanitizes every possible surface, eradicates allergens, and kills bacteria, viruses, dust mites, bedbugs, mold and most of the pathogens. Here is how to use steam as upholstery cleaner.
1. Preparing your upholstery:
Follow the following steps to prepare your upholstery.
• Vacuum your upholstery to clean any dirt, dust, trash or pet hair.
• The previous step is essential because some of these things can make your carpet even dirtier if not cleaned first.
• If there are any pillows, remove and vacuum them well.
• Vacuum the furniture’s back well as there is always leftover trash and crumbs that may mess up the whole cleaning process.
• Treat the stains if there are any. Spray them with upholstery cleaner and let the cleaner set so to break down the treated spot.
• Leave the cleaner for about 5 minutes than blot it with a soft cloth.
• Precondition the fabric before steam cleaning it.
• The emulsifier and shampoo will get out of the upholstery when you steam clean it.
• Make sure that the fabric can withstand the water.
2. Cleaning the Upholstery:
Follow the following steps to clean your upholstery.
• Choose the right steam cleaner as there are many kinds of them.
• The most perfect steam cleaners for upholstery are upholstery steam cleaners, fabric steam cleaners, and handheld steam cleaners.
• The upholstery steam cleaner is manufactured for this purpose, fabric steam cleaners are manufactured to clean fabric, and handheld cleaners are manufactured for small, tight surfaces.
• The cleaners are preferred to be handheld or have detachable wands or hoses.
• The standard to pick up a cleaner is that you can work better with it on your particular surface.
• Avoid large carpet steam cleaners as they are too bulky. They also don't have fabric cleaning attachments so they will not work on your upholstery properly.
• Rent the best upholstery cleaner if you don’t have it.
3. General Tips:
These tips are essential to clean the upholstery properly.
• Follow the instructions of the usage of the steam cleaner in order to prepare it well.
• It is better if you used water and soap separated than using them together within the steam cleaner.
• Start with the cushions. It is better to clean the sides first then moving towards the center.
• Steam the rest of the upholstery.
• If you noticed a spot, don’t wait until the upholstery dry out and clean it once you notice it.
• Let the furniture dry out. Use a fan to speed up the drying process.
• If you noticed a discoloration or you are not convinced with the cleaning, repeat the whole process again.
You may buy a carpet cleaner that does not work for the blood stain that you have and you may not know the best way to remove the blood stains.
Blood stains become much harder to be removed when they have dried. When you have a blood stain, start working on it as soon as possible to avoid any damages to your carpet. You may face a blood stain that is easy to remove and you may face a dry blood stain that requires a strong carpet cleaner and method. You also need to be patient to remove the stains properly. This guide will help you to choose the best carpet cleaner and the best method to remove the blood stains without causing damages to your carpet.
1. Fresh Blood:
Follow the following steps to remove fresh blood properly.
• Use a clean, white cloth or towel by Pressing down and lifting to remove as much fresh blood as you can. When the stain is large, start working on the edges and move towards the center in order not to prevent the blood from spreading.
• Rubbing will make the blood get more into the carpet fibers.
• Use cold water to spray the stain and leave it for few minutes.
• The usage of hot or even warm water will keep the blood stain permanently with the carpet fibers so never use it.
• You may absorb the moisture with a wet vacuum cleaner or a carpet extractor.
• Always use a white towel to make sure that you are doing fine.
• You can use salt paste to remove the stains too by mixing a bowl with cold water.
2. Dried Blood:
Use the following steps to remove dried blood properly.
• Before using any of the following treatments, use it on a hidden spot of the carpet in order to make sure that it will not damage your carpet especially if it is made of silk or wool. Leave the treatment for about 15 minutes then check the spot out. If it is damaged, consider hiring a professional carpet cleaning agents.
•To make the stain easier to be removed, brush it with a dull knife but this step is not recommended if you have a valuable carpet.
• Use unflavored meat tenderizer as this chemical breaks down proteins present in the blood stain which makes it easier to remove the blood stains. Never use flavored meat tenderizer as it can create new stain and break down fibers in wool or silk carpets as these kinds of carpets contain animal proteins.
3. General Tips:
These tips will avoid you many damages you may cause to your carpet.
• Hydrogen peroxide will lighten carpet fibers’ color in order to hide the stain so it is kind of dangerous when used with dark-colored carpets.
• Ammonia is great but it may discolor the carpet fibers.
• Enzyme carpet cleaners are great but you need to read the instructions well before using them.
• Use good air flow to dry the carpet after the usage of the carpet cleaner.
Choosing the right carpet cleaner to clean wine spots is always a problem. There are certain spots that you don’t know how to deal with them without a guide to tell you the best carpet cleaner to use and the best methods to apply; wine spots are among them. The following tips will tell you the best ways to easily remove the wine spots easily with normal ingredients.
1. The Basic Steps:
• You need to immediately blot up the spilled wine as the longer it in your carpet, the harder it will be to remove. Once you notice the spots, act fast; grab a paper towel and blot the stain. Pick up as much wine as possible.
• Up-and-down blotting motion is the best to use as side-to-side rubbing is not that effective.
• Rubbing will sit some of the wine in the carpet making it harder to be removed. It will also make the wine spot larger so moving from outside to the center prevent the spot from getting larger.
• Apply cold water on the spot and keep blotting.
• When it is difficult to blot anymore, keep diluting the wine with cold water to make it easier to be removed.
2. The Usage of Salt:
The following steps will show you how to use salt as a carpet cleaner.
• While the stain is wet, pour salt over it while it's still wet. If you did a good dabbing job, you will take almost all the wine out of the carpet, but of course not the whole spot.
• After the first step, there will be some of the wine in the carpet that you can remove by covering the stain with a generous portion of salt.
• The salt granules work by drawing the moisture that you made in the stain out of the carpet. It may take hours.
• So the salt works by drawing the moisture of the stain, It does not work well for dried stains so you need to keep the stain wet before removing it out of the carpet.
3. The Usage of Vinegar Solution:
Follow the following steps to use vinegar solution as a carpet cleaner.
• Make the cleaning solution using a large bowl, mix 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) of dishwashing liquid, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar, and 2 cups (236 milliliters) of warm water. Combine them together and you will have your solution.
• The vinegar used should be white vinegar as the other types like apple cider or balsamic vinegar can cause more stains.
• The stain should be wetted by the solution in order to loosen the stain.
• Repeat these steps until the carpet is clean.
• The stain should be wetted by cold water. It is a process of diluting then getting the wine out of the carpet until you remove it completely.
If you are looking for a customized carpet cleaning eco-friendly chemical products, this guide will help you a lot. They are hard to find but recently some companies produced such products. They are completely safe so you can use them without the fear of toxicity to your kids and pets. Let’s see the top Customized Carpet Cleaning Eco-Friendly Products.
1. HydrOxi Pro Encapsulating Spotter (Anti-Re-soiling Spot and Stain Remover:
That is considered one of the top carpet cleaners in the whole market. Its customer reviews are great. They all agree that this product keep their carpets brand new and spotless. Some customers say that it removed spots that are impossible to be removed. The features of this cleaner are many and they include:
• Elimination of the soling. The product is effective in this area as it uses polymer technology.
• It has a color-safe feature so it will not have any kind of effect on the color of the carpet.
• Its PH is neutral so it will not affect the fibers of the carpet and will maintain them well.
• It has hydrogen peroxide among its ingredients which makes it safer.
2. SSS Carpet Rinse Plus and Neutralizer:
It is one of the recommended carpet cleaners in case you want to make your carpet softer and brighter. Its features are great and they include:
• Acidity. The slight acidic cleaner neutralizes the alkaline PH of any shampoo residue which will prevent the browning of the fibers.
• Certifications. It is a certified carpet cleaning product so you can know relax and know that the safety of your kids and pets is guaranteed.
• It produces better results when it is used after the primary cleaning method.
• It does not affect the integrity of your floors so problems like re-soiling and stickiness will not even take place.
3. Triple Action Enzyme Carpet Spotter and Stain Remover:
This cleaner is used mainly for pet stains but it also works perfectly with all other types of stains. A customer reported that it worked effectively against the urine of his dog which had a bladder control problem. Coffee stains, wine stains, and other stains were removed using it too.
The features that make this carpet cleaner great include:
• It is made with Advanced Gemini Surfactant Technology for better cleaning.
• It eliminates any kind of odors.
• Certifications. It is a certified carpet cleaning product so you can know relax and know that the safety of your kids and pets is guaranteed.
The need of stain remover when your pen leaks in your pocket or your sleeves are wiped on ink that was about to dry is ultimate. If you decided to forget about it and just wash your shirt as regular, the stain will be permanent and this shirt will be technically not wearable especially if the shirt is cotton.
This guide will tell you how to deal with the ball point pen stains especially with cotton shirts and the mechanism through which stain remover works as a spot treatment and dissolve the stain.
Let’s see how stain remover works.
1. The Ink Type:
Not all pens are the same and traditional pens are not the only ones available nowadays so you need to know what type of ink that stains your shirt in order to know the best way to make the stain remover work as a spot treatment.
• Traditional ballpoint pens have a fast-drying, oil-based ink. To remove this type of ink you will need a solvent.
• Rollerball pens have water-based inks which are easily to be removed.
• Gel pens have a highly-pigmented type of ink that is difficult to be removed by ordinary ways.
Discover the type of the pen to know exactly which type it is as you will not be able to determine the best way to deal with the stain without determining the type of the ink.
2. How to deal with ballpoint stains?
Follow the following steps to remove this type of ink.
• The most suitable stain remover in this case is ethanol or ethyl alcohol which is basically a component of many home products.
• Place a towel or a napkin on the stain when you spray it with the stain remover to give the stain a place to be removed to. Don’t try to the rub the towel or the napkin against the shirt in order not to spread the stain.
• Apply the alcohol to the stain. Note that if you are going to use a wipe, you will need to blot the fabric firmly in order to squeeze the solvent into the stain. Wiping the fabric gives you another option which is putting a heavy item over it and wait for several minutes until the stain remover works.
3. How to deal with rollerball Pen stains?
Follow the following steps to remove this type of ink.
• Soak the stained part into milk for about 30 minutes then rinse it with warm water and try to rub it with an old toothbrush.
• The best spot treatment for the remaining stain is the powdered colour-safe bleach. Mix the spot treatment with an amount of water to form a paste then apply it to the stain.
• Repeat the soaking and the spot treatment steps until you get the best results.
4. How to deal with Gel Pen Stain?
Follow the following steps to remove this type of ink.
• Wash it with soap or regular detergent immediately. They both work as a sport treatment.
• Treat the stain with ammonia or vinegar solution for the best results.
Always Preferred Restoration