Fire damage destruction happens with a wide range of seriousness here in Missoula, from minor smoke destruction to the total destruction of a building and its contents. For its victims, fire damage extends from temporary inconvenience to major tragedy. Whatever the seriousness, most victims of fire damage find themselves in unfamiliar territory. In addition to the disruption of their customary living patterns, they must make numerous decisions that may have a long-term impact on their personal and financial affairs. Much of the time they lack a sound basis for making those decisions.
Levels of fire severity
Every fire damage situation is unique; there are no truly typical occurrences. However, general categories of fire severity might be considered, under the headings of Light, Moderately Severe, Severe, and Very Severe damage. With those reservations, we might describe four general levels of fire severity.
Light destruction: the damage consists of loose fire residues which can be remedied by cleaning the walls, ceilings and floors and contents. Residues may be confined to specific areas. No painting or replacements are required.
Moderate damage: the destruction consists of more intense fire residues which may be remedied by restorative cleaning procedures, painting and floor refinishing. Localized heat damage may require replacement of a burned cabinet, appliances or drywall. Fire odors may be minor or severe. Some fires, such as those involving carbonized meat or poultry, generate little or no visible smoke or residues, but leave persistent, obnoxious odors. Other materials, such as plastics, may generate extensive residues from a small quantity of fuel. Personal property requires surface cleaning where residues are present, and can largely be handled on site.
Severe destruction: fire damage has occurred to structural materials such as framing, and millwork, and finishes near the fire source; heavy deposits of carbon and smoke residues over a wide area; odors may be extremely disgusting, particularly from cramped, oxygen-starved fires. Enclosed wall and ceiling cavities may be infiltrated by smoke
Very severe damage involves fire destruction to major building elements, such as floor or roof framing, heating and ventilation, utilities. Such destructions often require temporary repairs such as board-up, winterization, temporary electrical repairs, or removal of salvageable contents. Very Severe fires may involve extensive water damage from fire suppression efforts or damaged water lines. Licensed contractors, building permits and code inspections are required.
At every level of severity, heat, fire residues and the disruption of normal building systems alters the building environment. Considerations of health, as well as value, require that all restoration work be complete and properly executed.
In the immediate after-effects of any fire the victim usually notifies his insurance carrier, if a policy is in effect. Depending on the circumstances and severity of the destruction, the agent may immediately authorize the insured to obtain temporary lodging and emergency repairs. Prudence, as well as the terms of insurance policies, usually requires that the property owner act to secure the property and prevent additional damage.
Repair specification, is prepared for the building and for damaged personal property, sometimes by the adjuster, more often by an independent contractor. Some adjusters exert strong pressure to control the specifications and bids; others allow the property owner to participate in the repair decisions. However the bid and approval process is handled, the decision is ultimately made by the property owner, who must authorize the restoration and live with the result.
Normally, an insurance adjuster visits the site to inspect the damage, review the policy and discuss the claim with the insured. The adjuster might reach agreement with the owner on the restoration required, and authorize the immediate performance of those repairs. The adjuster may refer the victim to one or several fire damage restoration firms here in Missoula Montana. Where appropriate, the adjuster may authorize the property owner to obtain temporary repairs to secure the property against further damage. In other cases the owner may choose to proceed without insurance oversight.
The steps that follow trace an insured owner’s actions through the progress of a hypothetical severe fire damage incident. Light or moderate damage would typically involve fewer steps.
The property owner:
Preventing Further Damage
You can minimize further damage to your Montana property by following these guidelines, even if you don't hire a professional fire restorer.
If you have a restoration agency that is specialized in fire damages and you are looking for the best ways to market your business in order to reach more and more customers, then you are reading the right guide. Clients of fire damage restoration services need a company that they can rely on in such tough time and that is what fire damage restoration services should use; they should know how to sell their services according to the needs of their clients in such rough time.
The good impression about your fire damage restoration business is great especially when it comes from experts or from your local customers. Unfortunately, most of the fire damage restoration companies have no idea how to market their business well. This guide will help any owner of such business to earn more customers so let’s discover it.
1. Leveraging Print Ads and Competitive Awareness:
These two ways of marketing are so effective when it comes to fire damage restoration services.
• Leveraging Print Ads:
Any kind of business can depend on print advertising especially restoration services. It is widely used in the market so you should have it in order to compete with the other agencies in this area. Despite the fact that everything is now done online, you can still depend on printed media to gain certain kinds of customers. These customers are mainly looking for trusted information that you should include in your printed media.
• Competitive Awareness:
You need to be aware that the competition is tough in this market in order to be able to create better ways to gain customers. Collect all the information you can about your local competitors. Search for the marketing ways that major companies use and try it.
2. Why do people search for restoration services?
Any good marketing campaign should depend mainly on understanding its customers. The following points will tell you why people search for these kind of services.
• Your customers will be out searching for you after disasters like a heavy rainfall or a flood.
• After disasters, the number of customers will be high so you need to be prepared by equipment, stuff and time for every customer as if he/she is your only customer.
• The personal tragedy that these people are suffering from will make them want someone to help fast so the good quality of the work that should be done quickly will be appreciated.
• Build a sense of trust with your customers through this difficult situation. Let them know that whatever the situation is right now, it will be okay; they are okay.
Nowadays, it is easier for people to search for information online. People search for everything from how to train my pet to how to deal with fire damage so you need to make sure that your service appears among the search results in your area. Hire a search engine optimization experts and tell him/her what you need and they will accomplish it. Online marketing has become essential for any kind of business nowadays.
Fire damage is considered one of the worst experiences that you may suffer from for a long time due to the complications of the fire damage. Things like the odor, the smoke and any other complication of fire damages are not easy to deal with and may affect the integrity of the whole building. For example, smoke odor will invade every single area of the house and will stick to your personal belongings too.
The soot of the smoke may lead to severe damages to the walls of the building which were not burned by the fire. The experience of fire damage is really devastating and you will need professional fire damage restoration services to restore your place and help you get through this tough situation.
Be prepared to this tough situation by having the number of fire damage restoration agency that can deal with the situation professionally.
1. Before Deodorization:
Regarding the odor of the smoke, here is what professional fire damage restoration services have to accomplish before deodorization.
• The cleaning process has three phases which are structural cleaning, contents cleaning and deodorization.
• Structural cleaning means the cleaning of the walls and the woodwork of the whole building or house. It is the first step to get your house as clean as it was before the fire damage. It depends on how bad the fire damage is so the price of this step varies according to the type of tools that will be used and the effort that will be exerted by the cleaning agents.
• Contents Cleaning means cleaning of things like the furniture and upholstery. Professional fire damage restoration services agents know what to do regarding the fire damage of such things so your items will be restored somehow.
After the two previous steps, deodorization comes. Deodorization means the removal of the odor of the smoke. There are two ways to remove the odor after fire damage.
• The first way is to remove the odor without eliminating its sources. It is not effective but cheaper.
• The second way is to remove the sources of the odor. It is more expensive but it will terminate the odor completely.
3. Additional Services:
The following services are offered by professional fire damage restoration services.
This aims to protect your building from being entered by strangers and to protect it from bad weather changes too.
This aims to make categorize your items into three categories which are salvageable, non-salvageable, and questionable in order to help you save what may be saved and getting rid of what can’t be saved anymore.
If your furniture should be moved out in order to keep its integrity, the restoration services offer you to move out your furniture and any other items to a safe place to keep its integrity.
If you have some valuable artwork that is damaged by the fire, the restoration services will offer you a conservator who will be able to restore your artwork.
Water damage restoration experts say that the best step to start working on water damage at a residence is to make the owners of the place act fast and deal with the damage until water damage restoration agents come and deal with the damages professionally. Water damages can lead to serious complications; that is why water damage restoration experts advise people to follow the following tips.
1. After a Flood:
Follow the following steps after a flood.
• If the cause of the flood is a burst pipe or a failure of water heater, turn off the main water line for your residence. Call water damage restoration services as soon as possible.
• Shut down the power by cutting off the electricity and gas from their main sources. It is essential whether the leak is small or large to do this step as all it takes is one drop to cause a disaster. It is better to have an electrician to handle shutting off in case you have standing water.
• You need to assess the damage in order to know how much money you will pay for the water damage restoration service. Take some pictures for the insurance company.
• Save your most valuable possessions and remove any valuable items. Don’t waste time cleaning anything; just rescue everything first.
2. Get Rid of Standing Water:
When the water sits for a long time, the damages will be disastrous. Here are some tips that you should follow in order to get rid of any standing water.
• When everything is safe, start pumping out any standing water.
• When you deal with a natural flood, wait until the water of the flood have receded below your place.
• You need to wear protective gear while working in your flooded house. Wear rubber boots, gloves, and a mask or respirator.
• You need to keep your kids and pets away from the standing water. Any standing water is contaminated and may be harmful to your kids and pets.
• The place of the pump should be at the lowest spot of the area affected by the flooded water.
• The usage of a wet-dry vacuum is the best solution for small amount of flooding.
3. Mold and Mildew:
Mold need water damage restoration services experts to deal with it. You need to assess mold for your insurance company and to help the water damage restoration agents. Follow the following steps.
• Mold can grow anywhere. It can be visible and it can grow in air ducts, between walls, rafters, and crawl spaces.
• If mold is not visible, find any noticeable must earth smell. If there is any, then there is invisible mold undetected.
• Mildew and mold develop within 48 hours after exposure to moisture.
• Turn off the power as mold will make any wires or cables wet which is extremely dangerous.
• Dry the area out before mold spreads to other areas and becomes hard to remove by water damage restoration agents. When mold stays for long time, it will invade more areas and become uncontrollable.
• Don’t use fans to dry out the place as they may spread the spores of the mold to new places.
Water damage restoration services offer their customers informative guides to help them deal with any kind of water damage in their houses. The best water damage restoration services will provide you with information in situations like home leaks, mold control, how to deal with water damage until water damage restoration experts arrive and other situations. These tips will be provided to you by any water damage restoration agent regarding how to deal with leaks in order to save your residence and reduce the costs of repairing your place. Let’s see what experts say.
1. Hot Water Tanks:
You need to check the pressure relief valve of the tank of hot water regularly because sometimes they are plumbed into a drain. They may be leaking while you have no idea. You will know that they are leaking when you are not able to remove the drain pipe in order to check for a leak. You will listen for a hissing sound when the valves are leaking.
These steps will show you how to check your toilet for a leak.
• Remove the top off the tank and listen as close as you can. If you heard any hissing, try to locate its source.
• After locating the source of the leak, assess it and determine whether you can fix it or not. If you are not able to fix it, call water damage restoration services and have an expert to deal with the problem professionally.
• If you didn’t notice anything, put some food coloring with a couple of drops in the tank and wait about 5 minutes. If there is coloring in the bowl, then there is a leak in the flapper at the tank’s bottom. This leak is allowing water to seep through. Decide whether you can fix it by yourself or you need a water damage restoration expert.
• Repeat if you have more toilets.
3. Meter Line:
Here is how to check your line that is running from the meter to your place if there is no leak in toilets.
• If you have a shut-off valve, turn it off temporarily until you complete your check.
• Check the meter. Remove the lid and watch the dial on meter’s top.
• If there is any dirt or grass covering the top of the meter, dig around until you can see the meter head clearly. The valve is turned off so if there is any leak, it is between the house and the meter unless you have a leaking valve which is very common too.
• To locate the area of the leak, walk the distance between the meter and the valve until you find a sign of leak.
• The signs of leak are such as soft muddy area or grass greener than the rest or growing faster.
4. General tips:
• Check your garden by looking at hoses, drip irrigation systems and taps.
• If you have a swimming pool, call a water damage restoration services to check it for leaks.
• Check your shower for leaks; it is a common area for leaks.
When we discovered fire, we discovered also that there is something called fire damage. Throughout history, there were some fire damage accidents that caused a lot of damage and remained in the memory of history. Let’s see the worst fire damage accidents in History.
1. Boston (1872):
Let’s sum up what happened in the following points.
• This fire is significant because it made losses more than any fire in the whole American history. It is not as big as Chicago fire damage or San Francisco fire damage but these two fires did not cause damages as this one.
• The cause that the losses were so huge that the fire affected the downtown area and the financial districts. Hundreds of businesses were destroyed and thousands of Bostonians lost their jobs.
• Insurance companies bankrupted as they were not able to pay for the losses.
• The fire department of the city was out of service so the fire was not controlled until it made these terrible losses.
• The statics said that 776 buildings, 20 people and 65 acres of the downtown area were destroyed.
2. London (1666):
The following points will tell you everything you need to know about this fire.
• London was burnt many times as it was basically wooden constructed and its design was so poor.
• The fire started when a maid forgot to put down the fire in a baker’s shop.
• This fire has a kind of black sarcasm as it is not considered a bad fire accident; actually it made a favor for London.
• London suffered from the plague and this fire sterilized the city somehow. Of course, people didn’t see it this way when the fire was on but when they re-built the city, they discovered that.
3. Chicago (1871):
Chicago now has the best fire department in the whole world and the reason is that fire in 1871. The fire damage that destroyed about 17,000 buildings and left about 90,000 homeless started in October 1871 but it was slow enough that only 300 people died which is a small number when it is compared with the severity of the fire. The main problem was that the homeless people faced a cruel winter without a shelter. There are many stories that describe how this fire started including the cow of the poor woman which kicked over a lantern yet the true story is that a transient smoking in the barn was the cause.
This fire inspired the people of Chicago to make their city great again so the people gathered together and built the city that we are all proud of now. The fire department is one of the fastest and largest in the whole world.
These three fire damage accidents are considered the worst in history. There are also some fire accidents that are remarkable like London (1212), San Francisco (1906), Peshtigo, Wisconsin (1871), Texas City, Texas (1947), Halifax, Nova Scotia (1917), and Tokyo, Japan (1923). We invented fire departments to control fires but we also invented more modern ways to cause fires.
Water damage restoration accidents can be very serious especially if it is combined with contamination which leads to serious health and environmental problems. Water is one of the essential elements for the survival of all creatures on Earth so we need to take water damage accidents especially those related to contamination seriously. Let’s see the most serious water damage restoration accidents through history.
1. U.S. Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune:
We can sum up what happened in the following points.
• The contamination that happened in this camp lasted for about 30 from 1952 to 1987. The number of people that were affected by this accident is estimated by about 500,000.
• The chemicals that were found in the water affected the people with fatal diseases such as cancer (nearly all types of cancer), reproductive disorders, birth defects, and many rare conditions.
• The symptoms appeared after a while. The families and residents of the camp consumed the water as normal; the water that contains chemicals and carcinogens.
• There are some methods to get this water clean like Air Stripping and the evaporation of TCE and Volatile Organic Compounds.
• There are some lawsuits and claims against the camp that should be taken seriously.
2. Woburn Massachusetts Water Contamination:
We can sum up what happened in the following points.
• Adell K. Heneghan at the University of Idaho made a case study that showed that the water of Woburn Massachusetts was contaminated for about 10 years from 1969 to 1979.
• The diseases that affected the people there were fatal. There were 12 cases of children affected by leukaemia. The people of the area at the height of the contamination suffered from liver, kidney, prostate, and urinary cancers. Congenital anomalies and birth defects were common too.
• The chemicals that present in the water are PCE, TCE, Chloroform, 1, 2 Dichloroethene and Arsenic. To get the water clean, the recommended methods are GAC and Air Stripping.
3. Hinckley Water Contamination:
Another example of contamination as a water damage restoration disaster is Hinckley Water Contamination. From 1952 to 1956, many people were reported to fall sick after being exposed to the contaminated water.
The chemicals were very nasty and people complained of nearly all types of cancers and birth problems. The pollution was made by dropping hexavalent chromium or Chromium-6 in addition to the Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E). After the examination of the water, the PBS found that the best effective way to get this water clean is to us an ion exchange treatment unit especially to get rid of Chromium-6.
4. Yamuna India:
This is one of the most terrifying situations on our planet. The river that is considered one of the most polluted rivers in the world is still used by the Indian people and it supplies about 70% of New Delhi’s water. Most of the filtering methods are useless so the people use the water in order to survive.
These 4 water damage restoration accidents will change your view about water damage. You will consider contamination as a source of water damage restoration too which is kind of one of the most serious situations on Earth.
One of the most important businesses nowadays is fire damage restoration services. It is usually combines with water damage under the name disaster restoration services but some companies specialize in fire damages only.
This business is not as easy as some people think; it is challenging but rewarding. People working in this business care about two main things; the success of their business and how to make the life of their customers easier and help them get over the disaster. Let’s see the most important points that you need to know in order to start your business properly.
1. The basic research:
There are two ways to do your basic research.
• You can enter the business and try. This will need a lot of determination and a lot of luck too.
• You can search well for everything. You will spend some time searching for everything to build up a good strategy then start your business. When you plan for everything, you will fall in fewer mistakes than just jumping in the business. All the questions that you have like whether starting your business from the ground up or buying a franchise will be answered. The big decisions will be small after the research.
2. The Customers and the Competition:
• The Customers:
You need to determine your customers to be able to focus your research and target them well. In the beginning, you may accept all kinds of customers but after a while, you will have to choose between your customers. You will have a way to choose the customers that will add to your business.
• The Competition:
This is one of the toughest markets so the competition is so high. All the companies want to make their businesses successful and their customers happy by getting them over the rough situations. Discover the strategies of your competitors and try to make better strategies in order to gain more customers.
3. The Certifications and the Equipment:
• There are many certifications that you should have when you are in this business. It is not only the essential course but also there are the training courses. The more certified agents you have, the better will be your business and more customers will trust you.
• The Equipment:
In the future, you will buy all the equipment used in the business but when you start up your business, you need to have the basic equipment. Moisture meters, air movers, dehumidifiers and cleaning products are what I am talking about. When the company grows up, invest in better equipment.
4. Marketing your business:
Hire a digital marketing agency that works with fire damage restoration services. You may think that the marketing process is easy but it is not and you need experts. Even if you are a talented marketing agent, you can save the time you will spend on the marketing and make your business better.
These points are essential when you are about to start a fire damage restoration service. Fire damage services are among the upcoming businesses that are very rewarding if you know what you are doing.
In order to understand water damage restoration well, you need to understand its definition, categories, classes and restoration. It is one of the essential industries nowadays as it may cause severe damages that cost millions of dollars. Let’s start with the definition of water damage restoration and go through the rest of all the details.
• The definition of water damage restoration:
Water damage restoration is defined as the losses that result from water; it may reach millions of dollars. The damages don’t just result from water but they also result from rotting of wood, rusting of steel and many other forms of damages.
There are three categories of water damage:
1. Category 1:
This category includes the sources of water that do not have any threats to humans which are known as sources of clean water. Examples of these sources are the water supply lines when they break, a tub or sink when they overflow, and the malfunctions of appliance that also include the lines of water supply.
2. Category 2:
This category includes the sources of water that have a degree of contaminants that can be chemical, physical or biological. This water is known as the grey water and it causes sickness or discomfort when living creatures consume or expose themselves to it as it has harmful micro-organisms and the nutrients that are consumed by these micro-organisms.
3. Category 3:
This category includes unsanitary agents, harmful bacteria and fungi which cause severe discomfort or sickness which is known as black water.
• What is the difference between Category 2 and Category 3?
1. Category 2:
This includes the water that is not properly removed from buildings and still not stagnant.
2. Category 3:
This includes the black water in addition to the stagnant water of the second category.
How can you determine the class of water damage? Well, this is determined by the evaporation rate which is based on the types of the affected materials, the wetness, and whether the water is in a room or an open space. Restoration services consider damage class determination as the first step to be able to repair the damages well.
1. Class 1:
• Slow evaporation rate.
• Water affects only a part of a room
• Materials have a low porosity and a little moisture is absorbed by them.
2. Class 2:
• Fast evaporation rate.
• Water affects the whole room, carpet and furniture.
• Water reaches the walls, but less than 24 inches.
3. Class 3:
• Fastest evaporation rate.
• Water comes from overhead and it affects the whole place; walls, ceilings, insulation, furniture, etc.
4. Class 4:
• This is specific for Drying Situations. Drying needs low humidity to accomplish it.
The restoration process varies from simple to complex according to the severity of water damage so categories and classes are essential and help the restoration agents to repair everything properly. Find out the best water damage restoration service that use the best equipment and know what exactly how to deal with your specific situation. It is better if you asked for recommendations from people who passed through what you are experiencing.
Always Preferred Restoration