This guide is for people who suffer to get gum out of carpets especially if they have kids. We will discuss here how to get gum out using ice and how to get it out using heat. Feel free to call Always Preferred Restoration for any other specific questions about gum.
Get Gum Out With Ice:
One of the easiest ways to get gum out is to first freeze the gum. Grab a bag and fill it with ice. Then place the ice on the gum and leave it for about 30 minutes. Once the gum is frozen and hard, pry the gum up with your fingertips or a dull knife.
Cold gum becomes less sticky and brittle and will allow you to break it up from the carpet more easily. Do this very carefully. You don’t want to begin lifting fibers out of the carpet. If fibers begin to come up with the gum, hold the fibers with your fingers below the gum while pulling at the gum to avoid pulling the fibers up from the backing of the carpet.
It works best to break the brittle gum into chunks and work with a piece at a time. Once you get the majority of the gum up this way, there will likely be some sticky gum residue left behind.
A small amount of liquid soap can be gently blotted into the carpet to break down and remove this residue. However, be careful not to scrub the carpet to avoid fraying carpet fibers. Also avoid using too much soap. Just use a small amount and then flush the area with water when you are finished and blot with clean, white towels. This will prevent leaving a soapy residue that can later attract dirt to the area.
Get Gum Out With Heat:
First put a paper sack or a clean cloth over the gum. Next, use a hair dryer to heat the area and soften the gum. As the gum loosens up, it will begin to stick to the bag or cloth that you placed over it. Be very careful not to overheat and melt carpet fibers.
With extreme heat, you can actually cause burn/melt marks in your carpet and look like a permanent stain. If you watch closely as you work, it shouldn’t be a problem. This is more likely to be an issue if you use an iron instead of a hair dryer to heat the gum.
When the gum is soft, lift the cloth or sack, which should lift some of the gum. Continue to blot the warm gum with the sack, letting it attach and lift more and more of the gum out. Gently pick at the rest of the gum, removing as much as possible from the carpet without pulling too hard on the carpet fibers.
Again, once you have removed as much as possible, rinse with a small amount of soap to get rid of the remaining residue.
You may ask why would a school or a university requires a professional janitorial services agency that is specialized in educational facilities to handle its cleanliness? With the large number of students, teachers and other people, you need a professional janitorial services agency that is specialized in cleaning these kinds of facilities. The quality of the services should be high as an outbreak of a disease in such communities can be disastrous.
The best educational janitorial services develop specific procedures to make sure that your school and university is as clean as possible to prevent any chance of diseases.
If you are in charge of a school or a university and you want to hire a professional janitorial services agency to keep your area clean, look for a company that will analyze everything your place needs and has well-trained agents.
1. List of services provided by professional educational janitorial services:
Here is a list of the services provided by educational janitorial services.
• Trash removal. Your students will produce a large amount of trash daily so you need to make sure that the janitorial services are capable of accomplishing this task daily.
• Mopping of tile and linoleum floors.
• Vacuuming of carpets and floor polishing. This should be done routinely as the large number of people will make the carpets dirty constantly and the floors will be affected too.
• Cleaning of desks, and windows. Clean educational area will help both the students and the teacher to practice the educational process in a healthy atmosphere.
• Bathroom cleaning and kitchen cleaning. These places are common places of infections and contaminations; keeping them clean regularly is essential.
• Dusting and common area cleaning.
• Office cleaning.
You can choose certain services and charge for them; search well.
2. The characteristics of the best professional educational janitorial services:
Here is what you should look for when you choose the best agency to get your facility clean.
• Experience. It is essential that the agents of the cleaning service know exactly how to clean a school or a university.
• The high quality work.
• The good communication between the cleaning agents and their management and between the agency and the management of the facility.
• The ability to work in such crowded community like the school or the university. It is so hard so you should make sure that the agents are well-trained.
• The cleaning agents should be well-trained and have some certifications on how to deal with educational facilities.
• The commitment to the terms of the contract.
You should choose a cleaning agency that has most of these features.
3. Outsourcing or Insourcing:
Outsourcing the janitorial needs of your school or university is not an easy decision to make. The best decision to make from the experts point of view is outsourcing as the in-house cleaning does not have the features that qualifies it to be suitable for cleaning an educational facility. You need high standards for the best of your students and teachers so choose well.
Regular professional carpet cleaning is not preferable especially if you have a very valuable carpet that you want to keep its value so you need to know how to keep your carpet clean for a very long time. Professional carpet cleaning is kind of expensive especially if they are so valuable.
If you followed this guide, you will be able to keep your carpet clean may be for years. This guide will tell you how to prevent stains and how to prevent damages for a long time.
1. Regular carpet cleaning:
Follow the following steps to keep your carpet clean regularly.
• Vacuuming your carpet regularly is the first step to get the dirt and debris out of it as the accumulation of dirt and debris causes long term problems.
It is recommended to vacuum your carpet once a week covering all the areas of it.
• Cover your carpet with baking soda before vacuuming as it absorbs bad odors, keeps the smell of the carpet fresh and makes your carpet look great. Don’t put too much baking soda on a certain area.
• If you got a stain, deal with it as soon as possible. Apply your best carpet cleaning using the best method to get rid of it.
• Professional carpet cleaning occasionally is necessary. It is kind of expensive but it will keep the integrity of the carpet.
• Find the best professional carpet cleaning agency.
2. Prevention of Stains and Spills:
The following tips will help you to prevent stains.
• The usage of rugs and runners is great especially the areas that are exposed to a lot of dirt and other contaminants. You can use it at certain areas like under a dining room table and the area where your kids usually play.
• You have to train your pet to urinate outdoors or at a certain place. If your pet is not trained, use repellents. There are some commercial repellents but you can use white vinegar, lemon juice, rubbing alcohol as repellent agents.
• Don’t walk over your carpet wearing your shoes. Remove your shoes when you enter your home and encourage your visitors and your family to do the same.
• Any common source of stain should be kept away from the carpet; Wine, beverages, foods and juices are very common sources of stains.
3. Avoid Common Mistakes:
The following mistakes are so common and lead to a lot of stains.
• Commercial carpet powders are used to eliminate the unpleasant odors but they leave residue in the carpet that damage the carpet over time.
• Rubbing stains will spread it. It is better to blot the stains to remove them without spreading them. Sometimes you think that you are removing the stain while rubbing but you actually making it worse.
• When you need to buy a carpet cleaner, don’t buy a cheap one as you will get what you pay for. Cheap carpet cleaners will leave dirt and debris within the carpet and even may cause a lot of damages.
We here in Always Preferred Restoration want to offer comprehensive guides about carpets and carpet cleaning to our clients; and this a new chapter of our tips.
We all face carpet cleaning situations when we really need a guide to help us to get through the situation. One of these situations is when the carpet is wet. If the wet spot is not large and can be removed easily, you may remove the carpet from the floor and hang it outside until it dries completely but if the spot is large or you deal with wet-to-wall carpet or the carpet is large, then you need to try to dry it at its place using certain methods. Here are how to deal with this situation.
1. Drying out a Carpet Quickly:
Follow the following steps to dry out your carpet.
• Spread some clean towels over the wet area of the carpet. In order to make the towels completely saturated, you will need to walk up and down the area. After that, remove the wet towels and replace them with dry ones and repeat.
Notice that you should check that padding and the floor to make sure that they are not wet too.
• Use a vacuum until you get no more water.
• The wet vacuum cleaner will remove the water from the carpet but it can’t remove it from the padding.
• Dump the tank before hitting overflow and it depends on the amount of water that is in the carpet so you may have to fill and refill the tank many times.
• Encourage the moisture to evaporate along with using towels and the vacuum.
2. Drying a Wall-to-Wall Carpet:
Follow the following steps.
• Move all the pieces of furniture off the wet carpet in order to lift up the carpet and check the pad and the floor underneath it.
• Remove the furniture as fast as possible so you can start your carpet cleaning immediately. Also, leaving the furniture on a wet carpet will damage the furniture, the flooring and the carpet.
• Try to remove as much of the water as you can.
• Of course, you will not be able to take up the entire floor but you definitely should check underneath the carpet.
• If you don’t have a vacuum that is capable of removing water, rent one. Don’t use the regular vacuum cleaner as it is not effective.
• Check the water many times in the carpet and beneath it until you make sure that the carpet and the floor are completely dry.
3. Drying a Carpet in a Car:
Follow the following steps to be able to clean your car carpet well.
• Deal with the car as soon as possible as the mold can take about 24 hours then grow. The mold will cause a lot of problems.
• Locate the place of the leak as dealing with the carpets without locating the leak isn’t the smartest move.
• Vacuum the carpet well.
• Repeat until you get the carpets dry and stop the leak.
Not all stains are the same. That is why we always create new carpet cleaning solutions to overcome these stains.
Hiring a professional carpet cleaning company is expensive so why would you hire a professional carpet cleaning services when you can make your own cleaning solutions at home. These solutions can be uses in a shampooing machine or you can apply with your regular household cleaning items and tools.
These homemade carpet cleaning solutions are great for removing spots, treating high-traffic areas, and nearly for all cleaning purposes. Also, there are many different recipes which you can try if one of the solutions doesn’t work for a hard stain so be patient and keep experimenting until you find the best carpet cleaning solution that will get your carpet clean.
Here are some recipes that you can try until you find out the best one.
1. How to make a carpet cleaner and conditioner?
This carpet cleaning solution and conditioner is nearly the same as commercial cleaners. It will get your carpet clean, fresh, and soft in addition to its good smelling. Here are the ingredients that you can use to make this carpet cleaning solution and conditioner.
• Use 2 tablespoons of home liquid laundry detergent.
• Use ¼ cup of liquid all-purpose cleaner.
• Use 1 scoop of Oxy-Clean.
• Use 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of fabric softener.
• Mix all the previous ingredients with 1 gallon (3.8 L) of hot water.
2. How to make an aromatic non-toxic cleaner?
If you have a pet or kids, you should use this cleaner especially with the items that the kids and the pets are exposed to them on daily basis as the carpets.
Here are the ingredients that you can use to make this carpet cleaner.
• Use 1 cup (about 235 ml) of white vinegar
• Use 2 cups (about 470 ml) of water.
• Use 2 teaspoons (about13 g) of salt.
• Mix all the previous ingredients with 15 drops of essential oil, such as lemon, lavender, or pine.
3. How to use a window cleaner to make a simple solution?
If you think that window cleaners are just used to clean windows, you are mistaken. Mixing a window cleaner with water will produce a cheap but very effective carpet cleaner for nearly everything; car, house and carpets.
Mix equal parts hot water and a window cleaner; it is like Windex.
4. How to make a stronger ammonia-based cleaner?
Ammonia cleaners are the most powerful type of cleaners; that is why you have to be very careful while using them because ammonia is a very dangerous corrosive that can cause serious damages to your skin, eyes, lungs, and even certain materials so you need to wear some gloves, and carefully combine in a bucket.
Here are the ingredients that you can use to make this carpet cleaner.
• Use 1 tablespoon (about 15 ml) of liquid dish detergent.
• Use ¼ cup (about 59 ml) of ammonia.
•Use ¼ cup (about 59 ml) of vinegar.
•Mix the previous ingredients with 3 gallons (about 11 L) of water.
Carpet cleaning can be so easy if you know exactly what to do regarding different situations. Things like the best carpet cleaner for certain stains, how to make a homemade carpet cleaner, how to find the best carpet cleaning agency and the secrets of carpet cleaning need a guide to help the non-professional people who face such problems and want to clean their carpets without paying a lot of money.
This guide will teach you how to deal with one of the most annoying problems which is fleas. When fleas invade carpets, it is so hard to get them out just by regular cleaning so let’s see how to get rid of them professionally.
1. Getting rid of fleas chemically:
Follow the following steps to clean your carpet out of fleas chemically:
• Use an eco-friendly, pet-safe insecticide as a carpet cleaner. Apply it to a certain area of your carpet or a carpet in a certain room. Wait until it dries out totally then vacuum your carpet. You will have to vacuum daily up to a week or may be two maximum according to the condition of the carpet.
• Don’t let your pets or kids in the room or the area you are cleaning especially if they are allergic to insecticides. You may suffer from dramatic consequences if you did that.
• Use salt or borax and apply it all over the carpet especially where your pet loves to sit, under sofas and furniture and near the door. Leave it for up to 48 hours before vacuuming. Also make sure your kids and pets stay out of the area you are cleaning.
2. Using Diatomaceous Earth for carpet cleaning purposes:
Follow the following steps to clean your carpet using Diatomaceous Earth as a carpet cleaner:
• Make sure to use food grade Diatomaceous Earth because there is a type for the swimming pools and it is not suitable as a carpet cleaner.
• The type we use in the swimming pools is toxic while the type for carpet cleaning is safe so if your pet or kid digested it by mistake, nothing bad will happen.
• Spread the diatomaceous earth all over the carpet. It will clean it up perfectly as it kills fleas effectively.
• Vacuum all your carpet.
• Use it to clean the place of your pet’s place too. Usually the pet’s place is where fleas come from so killing them there will be elimination to the source of fleas.
• Give your pet a path before letting it sleep at its place again.
3. The regular carpet cleaning method:
Follow the following steps to clean your carpet regularly:
• It is better to use a nozzle instead of just vacuuming the carpet.
• The duration of vacuuming differs according to how heavy the infestation is. The heaviest infestation requires up to two weeks of daily vacuuming.
• Vacuum the same places as previous and make sure to reach corners and baseboards.
• Throw the vacuum cleaner bag outside your home and make sure to tie it well.
• Clean your carpet and furniture using a steam cleaner. It will kill any remnants of the fleas within the carpet.
• Make sure to clean your pet’s bedding using the best and safest carpet cleaner.
Insurance is essential for carpet cleaning services to protect the workplace, the equipment, the properties of the clients and your employees. This guide will help you to have the right insurance policy to protect your agency completely. Let’s see the different types of insurance policies regarding carpet cleaning services.
1. General Liability Insurance:
This policy will save your agency in three situations.
•This insurance policy is called “the slip and flip insurance policy”. Let’s imagine that a client of yours slipped on your floor, he/she may file a case against your agency especially if he/she is injured badly. This insurance policy will help you in this situation as it covers the third party body injuries of your clients.
• Anther situation that the insurance policy will save it is when one of your employees makes a mistake that lead to damage of a property; the insurance policy will cover the mistake. This situation is so common among carpet cleaning agents and janitorial services so this policy is essential for those two services.
• If the marketing employees of your agency made an offensive marketing about your competitors and your competitors decided to file a case, the insurance policy would cover this mistake.
2. Property Insurance Policy:
You will buy a lot of equipment like vacuum cleaners, chemical products, protective equipment and many other tools and items. Your equipment will cost you a lot of money so protect your equipment and buy this insurance policy. This policy will pay you in cases of fires, theft, floods and other weather disasters.
3. Workers' Compensation Insurance:
You will hire a lot of employees over time. You may start your business with 2 agents and end with over 100 agents to keep your business running with complete availability, high speed and best quality. Injuries in cleaning agencies are common as they deal with dangerous materials. The most common injuries are those that happen in carpet cleaning agents and janitorial services. The most common diseases are those that happen among water damage restoration services agents and fire damage restoration services agents especially skin and respiratory diseases.
It is your responsibility to take care of your agents and pay their medical pills. This policy will cover any medical case of any of your employees. Most countries will not give you a business license unless you have Workers' Compensation Insurance.
4. Surety Bond:
It is essential for the cleaning services to have this policy. It offers the following benefits:
• It sends a message to your clients that if your agency does not meet their needs, they will have their money back.
• It will make your agency special and gain more clients as most of agencies forget to have this policy.
• Major corporations require it before making a contract with your agency.
This guide is provided to you by Always Preferred Restoration to help you figure out the best insurance policy for your business and guarantee that you will be able to have coverage for any kind of problems you may have.
Choosing the right carpet cleaner to clean wine spots is always a problem. There are certain spots that you don’t know how to deal with them without a guide to tell you the best carpet cleaner to use and the best methods to apply; wine spots are among them. The following tips will tell you the best ways to easily remove the wine spots easily with normal ingredients.
1. The Basic Steps:
• You need to immediately blot up the spilled wine as the longer it in your carpet, the harder it will be to remove. Once you notice the spots, act fast; grab a paper towel and blot the stain. Pick up as much wine as possible.
• Up-and-down blotting motion is the best to use as side-to-side rubbing is not that effective.
• Rubbing will sit some of the wine in the carpet making it harder to be removed. It will also make the wine spot larger so moving from outside to the center prevent the spot from getting larger.
• Apply cold water on the spot and keep blotting.
• When it is difficult to blot anymore, keep diluting the wine with cold water to make it easier to be removed.
2. The Usage of Salt:
The following steps will show you how to use salt as a carpet cleaner.
• While the stain is wet, pour salt over it while it's still wet. If you did a good dabbing job, you will take almost all the wine out of the carpet, but of course not the whole spot.
• After the first step, there will be some of the wine in the carpet that you can remove by covering the stain with a generous portion of salt.
• The salt granules work by drawing the moisture that you made in the stain out of the carpet. It may take hours.
• So the salt works by drawing the moisture of the stain, It does not work well for dried stains so you need to keep the stain wet before removing it out of the carpet.
3. The Usage of Vinegar Solution:
Follow the following steps to use vinegar solution as a carpet cleaner.
• Make the cleaning solution using a large bowl, mix 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) of dishwashing liquid, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar, and 2 cups (236 milliliters) of warm water. Combine them together and you will have your solution.
• The vinegar used should be white vinegar as the other types like apple cider or balsamic vinegar can cause more stains.
• The stain should be wetted by the solution in order to loosen the stain.
• Repeat these steps until the carpet is clean.
• The stain should be wetted by cold water. It is a process of diluting then getting the wine out of the carpet until you remove it completely.
If you are looking for a customized carpet cleaning eco-friendly chemical products, this guide will help you a lot. They are hard to find but recently some companies produced such products. They are completely safe so you can use them without the fear of toxicity to your kids and pets. Let’s see the top Customized Carpet Cleaning Eco-Friendly Products.
1. HydrOxi Pro Encapsulating Spotter (Anti-Re-soiling Spot and Stain Remover:
That is considered one of the top carpet cleaners in the whole market. Its customer reviews are great. They all agree that this product keep their carpets brand new and spotless. Some customers say that it removed spots that are impossible to be removed. The features of this cleaner are many and they include:
• Elimination of the soling. The product is effective in this area as it uses polymer technology.
• It has a color-safe feature so it will not have any kind of effect on the color of the carpet.
• Its PH is neutral so it will not affect the fibers of the carpet and will maintain them well.
• It has hydrogen peroxide among its ingredients which makes it safer.
2. SSS Carpet Rinse Plus and Neutralizer:
It is one of the recommended carpet cleaners in case you want to make your carpet softer and brighter. Its features are great and they include:
• Acidity. The slight acidic cleaner neutralizes the alkaline PH of any shampoo residue which will prevent the browning of the fibers.
• Certifications. It is a certified carpet cleaning product so you can know relax and know that the safety of your kids and pets is guaranteed.
• It produces better results when it is used after the primary cleaning method.
• It does not affect the integrity of your floors so problems like re-soiling and stickiness will not even take place.
3. Triple Action Enzyme Carpet Spotter and Stain Remover:
This cleaner is used mainly for pet stains but it also works perfectly with all other types of stains. A customer reported that it worked effectively against the urine of his dog which had a bladder control problem. Coffee stains, wine stains, and other stains were removed using it too.
The features that make this carpet cleaner great include:
• It is made with Advanced Gemini Surfactant Technology for better cleaning.
• It eliminates any kind of odors.
• Certifications. It is a certified carpet cleaning product so you can know relax and know that the safety of your kids and pets is guaranteed.
We here in Always Preferred Restoration exert great efforts to clean your carpet. But sometimes the damages are stronger than us.
Do you think that carpet replacement is necessary? It is not an easy decision to make when it comes to floor replacement. We attach ourselves to things like our carpets, our coffee tables and any kind of properties so emotionally; it is not an easy decision.
Also, none wants to worry about carpet replacement expenses. That is why you need to know when to replace your old flooring.
• Stains and Discolorations:
When time passes, the effectiveness of the finish of the carpet – which resists stains- fades away. Check out your floor, if it is full of stains and spots that can’t be removed by professional carpet cleaning, this may be the time to replace your floor with a new one.
Professional carpet cleaning agents will do their best to get your floors clean. If the carpet will not be clean again, cleaning agents will advise you to replace it.
There are some difficult to remove stains like wine and bleach stains. if your carpet has many difficult stains, it will be the most practical choice to fully replace it.
When your carpet smells bad, it may be the time to replace it. Awful odors are not welcoming or pleasant thing so you need to replace it as soon as possible before holding an event or having any kind of guests. If you have pets, then the possibility to have a carpet that has a very bad smell increases significantly. Carpet cleaning agencies will do their best to remove the odors out of your carpet but still there are some smells that resist any kind of chemicals and cleaning methods.
Go to a professional carpet cleaning service and ask them to perform comprehensive work on your house; if this method failed, then it is time to start looking for a new flooring.
Note that if the odor is due to mold, you may need to check your house too in order to eliminate the source of the mold that can be very dangerous to the health.
• Tears & Wrinkles:
When your carpet becomes full of bulges, tears and wrinkles, it is probably the time to get it replaced. But before paying your money on a new one, assess the old one. If its bulges, tears and wrinkles can be fixed, then fix it instead of replacing it.
Assessment of your carpet should include several aspects. Its appearance should be good after repairing it. Its bulges and wrinkles should be hidden and the fibers should not be a danger to the people walking in the house.
Always Preferred Restoration