Getting rid of bad smells is an essential part of carpet cleaning but it is not that easy. There are different kinds of smells and each smell has a certain guide that you should follow to get rid of it. When your carpet has a bad odor that does not mean that it needs to be replaced, it just needs to be cleaned in a specific way. We all love our soft carpets but when they become dirty and smell bad, we want to get rid of them as soon as possible. Here is how you can get bad smells out of your carpet using household products.
1. How to deal with general odors:
Here are few tips you should follow to deal with general odors.
• You need to deal with solid areas but before doing this, remove any dried on spills, dap soap on any noticeable spills and blot away wetness. This step is essential as you want your carpet to be in its best state before treating the odor.
• Use baking soda to neutralize the smells trapped in your carpet. You may need a large box of baking soda as you will have to create a thin coat of it.
• Sometimes baking soda does not work so make a homemade cleaning solution using 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of liquid soap, and 1 liter of water.
• Spraying is the best way but you need to wear gloves while spraying and while the whole process of carpet cleaning too.
2. Smoke Odors:
Here is how to get rid of smoke odors.
• You will need 2-3 bowls of white vinegar or ammonia. You should leave enough room on the top of the bowl in order not to slosh over the sides. Keep the bowl out of the room with the carpet. The smoke odor will not be completely removed but it will refresh the smell of the room and the carpet. The mixture of white vinegar and ammonia will create a toxic gas; it will not create a more powerful mixture as some people think.
• leave the ammonia or the white vinegar to sit for 24-48 hours. Keep your pets and kids away from the room during this period.
• Use baking soda as we mentioned before.
• Use white vinegar into a steam cleaner as it is a powerful acidic carpet cleaning solution that will kill any bacteria.
3. Pet Smells:
Here is how to deal with pet smells.
• Any remaining wetness should be soaked up using a paper towel to clean the urine spot. If the spot is dry, use clean water and a paper towel to clean the spot.
• The best solution to use is green dish detergent using a soapy towel to clean the area.
• The usage of baking soda is essential too. Allow it to sit for 24-48 hours.
• White vinegar is effective too and you can apply it over the baking soda.
These tips are essential in the carpet cleaning industry. Carpet cleaning experts recommend that you search for a guide for dealing with each specific odor before applying any carpet cleaner.
Always Preferred Restoration and Janitorial